The Basis of Faith of the Evangelical Alliance
Basis of Faith, 1970 Revision
- The sovereignty and grace of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit in creation, providence, revelation, redemption, final judgement and consummation;
- The divine inspiration of Holy Scripture and its entire trustworthiness and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct;
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of fallen man, making him subject to God's wrath and condemnation;
- The substitutionary sacrifice of the incarnate Son of God as the sole and all-sufficient ground of redemption from the guilt and power of sin, and from its eternal consequences;
- The justification of the sinner solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ crucified and risen from the dead;
- The illuminating, regenerating, indwelling and sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit;
- The priesthood of all believers, who form the Universal Church, the body of which Christ is the head, and which is committed by His command to the proclamation of the Gospel throughout the world;
- The expectation of the personal, visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ, in power and glory.
Basis of Faith, 2005 Revision
We believe in...
- The one true God who lives eternally in three persons - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The love, grace and sovereignty of God in creating, sustaining, ruling, redeeming and judging the world.
- The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, which are the written Word of God - fully trustworthy for faith and conduct.
- The dignity of all people, made male and female in God's image to love, be holy and care for creation, yet corrupted by sin, which incurs divine wrath and judgement.
- The incarnation of God's eternal Son, the Lord Jesus Christ - born of the virgin Mary; truly divine and truly human, yet without sin.
- The atoning sacrifice of Christ on the cross: dying in our place, paying the price of sin and defeating evil, so reconciling us with God.
- The bodily resurrection of Christ, the first fruits of our resurrection; his ascension to the Father, and his reign and mediation as the only Saviour of the world.
- The justification of sinners solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ.
- The ministry of God the Holy Spirit, who leads us to repentance, unites us with Christ through new birth, empowers our discipleship and enables our witness.
- The Church, the body of Christ both local and universal, the priesthood of all believers - given life by the Spirit and endowed with the Spirit's gifts to worship God and proclaim the gospel, promoting justice and love.
- The personal and visible return of Jesus Christ to fulfil the purposes of God, who will raise all people to judgement, bring eternal life to the redeemed and eternal condemnation to the lost, and establish a new heaven and new earth.